Nearest Map Markers
Active911 is a software company that coordinates with dispatchers to send notifications to emergency first responders. This is facilitated by their flagship mobile product, ActiveAlert, which was created before I joined the company.
ActiveAlert clients receive a push notification to open an "alert" in the app which contains the details of the 911 call they're responding to. Details may include the address, who's responding, situational details, maps, etc.
There is a full time product manager on this team who uncovers problems and communicates them to me, so I can collaborate with him to work on a solution.
Cross-functional collaboration, Iterative Design, Comprehensive Problem Solving, Low and High Fidelity User Interface and Interaction Design
January 2021, Revisit Summer 2021
• Firefighters need to know quickly how much hose they will need to use on for incident
• They want to know right away which fire hydrant (represented by a map marker) is closest and how many feet away it is
• In order to see how close a map marker is to the scene, they can tap and hold as close to the scene as they can get, then each map marker will show the distance from that marker to the point created by tapping and holding
• Tapping and holding reveals a new navigation bar with more options
• Another option would be to use the Ruler functionality to draw a line from the map marker to the scene to get the distance
• They can also click the Markers button on the bottom navigation to see a list of which map marker are closest to the scene
RE-EXPLAIN MORE CLEARLY WITH MORE SPECIFIC FLOWS
• People don’t know they can press and hold for more functionality
• Getting distance to the scene is inaccurate and hacky
• Getting distance to the scene is not quick
• Give people a way to intuitively and quickly see the distance the map marker is to the scene
• Give people a way to intuitively and quickly determine which map markers are closest to the scene
For changes like this, when I have a flood of ideas, I prefer to go in and modify the UI to see what works the best instead of sketching it out beforehand.
POTENTIAL SOLUTION 1
Add the distance to scene next to name of marker when tapped
POTENTIAL SOLUTION 2
Allow people to choose to always show 30 closest markers with a map filter toggle
POTENTIAL SOLUTION 3
Make the toolbar more obvious so more people can use it
POTENTIAL SOLUTION 4
Take the 5 closest ones from the list and add them to the Alert Details
TAKEAWAYS FROM CHAT WITH PRODUCT MANAGER
• Add Nearest Markers to Alert Details (Solution 5)
• Add a way to access the marker details too
• Add distance to the scene on the clicked map marker label (Solution 1)
• Leave the tap/hold situation alone for now, leave ruler where it is
• Not going to add anything to the map filter list as to not clutter map any further